What We Do
We find people interested in a residential program and then walk them through the steps and help provide them with the information they need. This helps them decide exactly what type of program or academy will meet their teen’s physical, emotional and academic needs. We spend time with them to help them understand the strengths and weaknesses of the various programs, the costs, and the level of care or academic achievement at each facility. We guide them through the entire process, from research to enrollment.
Many parents ask “How do I know that I am selecting the right school?”. Our goal is to narrow down the search to a few options that will be a fit but sometimes it is still difficult to know if you are choosing the right school. Here are some suggestions that will help you make the best choice:
First, we suggest that you speak directly with the school to fully understand the program (we can usually connect you with the program promptly). If you are interested, request an application. These usually take 1-2 hours to complete but it is the first step in selecting the right school. Once your child has been accepted, you can have confidence that the school will be able to help if you decide to move forward.
Second, we suggest that you request parent references. Most schools will request that you apply first to ensure the child is a good fit. After the application has been approved, they will be willing to give you several parent references. This will be very helpful because these will be real parents that have already experienced a similar situation with their teen and are now partially through the healing process.
Lastly, we suggest that you check on the school’s local reputation. Since you can’t rely on reviews you read online as they are often from a disgruntled student, you should check on their local reputation. You can usually do so by calling local authorities to ensure that the school has a good reputation with their local law enforcement. This will be reassuring that your child will be in a safe environment.
We hope these three suggestions will help you when searching for the right program. If you have any questions or if we can help in any way, please feel free to reach out anytime so we can help you make the Best Choice!
How Can Best Choice Help Me?
- Get a second opinion about a program you have already tentatively selected
- We match programs based on many factors, considering both your family status and budget, as well as the programs
- We provide prompt responses and quick connections with various matched programs
- We have knowledge of the outcomes, administration, and processes at each program
- We have experience with helping place treatment-resistant students who failed to launch in other treatment programs
- We can provide you with networking and parent advocacy resources
- We know which programs are most proficient in various treatment modalities — which best handle specific issues
- We can provide you with funding ideas (eg. loan sources, CA AAP, victim funding, etc.)
- We know what programs have immediate openings for quick placement, and which ones have long wait lists
- We visit the campuses, talk to the students, and gather feedback from families
- We provide no pressure support throughout the enrollment process — we are here to listen
- We can communicate at times that are convenient for you (after work hours or weekends)
- We have personal experience working as staff in a number of these programs.
Helping Parents Make the Best Choice For Their Child
We recognize there are many types of boarding schools in the United States; however, some excel at helping kids in certain types of situations. For example, while one school may have a great structured environment, but it may not necessarily have sports. Our experience lies in knowing where programs excel and what they can do to address specific issues in the life of a child.
— Parent”Just a note again to say how much I appreciated your assistance. My daughter was accepted at one of the programs you mentioned, and she started her program on Monday of this week. I am so impressed by the program. My daughter is settling in. She is a bit homesick, but I have confidence that she will make significant strides in her recovery.”
— Norma S.
“Thank you so much! You were the most delightful person we’ve spoken with, in 5 years of trying to get our daughter help. Blessings to you!”
— Cathy H.
“I cannot thank you enough for all of your support with the initial process. I am truly grateful that my daughter is doing well. I hope you had a great summer and look forward to staying in touch!”
“We can’t thank you enough for telling us about this school and all your kindness and support! Have a wonderful day as you continue to help and bless other families that greatly need someone to come alongside them.”
“I’m really glad I found you. I could have never done this without your help!”
“You have been a blessing!”